Norway Mass Killer Jailed to Maximum Term
24 Aug 2012 04:18 GMT
 

OSLO - Closing a horrific page of the killings that shook Norway, anti-Islam mass killer Anders Behring Breivik was sentenced on Friday, August 24, to a maximum term when judges declared him sane enough to answer for the murd (more)

OSLO - Closing a horrific page of the killings that shook Norway, anti-Islam mass killer Anders Behring Breivik was sentenced on Friday, August 24, to a maximum term when judges declared him sane enough to answer for the murder of 77 people last year.

"He is getting what he deserves," Alexandra Peltre, 18, whom Breivik shot in the thigh on Utoeya, told Reuters.

"This is karma striking back at him. I do not care if he is insane or not, as long as he gets the punishment that he deserves."

Norway Anti-Islam Killer Pleads Not Guilty

Massacre to Save Norway From Islam: Killer

The trial of the worst mass murderer in Norway's peacetime history ran for three weeks last June with Breivik saying that his bombing and shooting rampage was necessary to defend the country.

Breivik killed at least 76 people were killed in twin attacks on a government building and a youth training camp in Oslo last year.

The right-wing extremist said that his assault was a self-styled mission to save European “Christendom” from Islam.

He argued his victims deserved to die because they supported Muslim immigration, which he said is adulterating pure Norwegian blood.

Bringing to an end a spectacular trial, the five judges unanimously found Breivik sane, a verdict in line with what the far-right extremist himself wanted.

Dressed in a black suit with a tie, Breivik smirked when he entered the courtroom and gave his now familiar, far-right salute when his handcuffs were removed.

He smiled again as the judge read out the verdict.

An unrepentant Breivik, 33, gave the Oslo court a stiff-armed, clench-fisted salute before being handed the steepest possible penalty, 21 years.

His release, however, can be put off indefinitely should he still pose a threat to a liberal society left traumatized by his bomb and shooting rampage last July.

Breivik has previously said he would not appeal a prison sentence, as he wanted to be found sane so his Islamophobic ideology would not be considered the ranting of a lunatic.

"He told me he will accept this verdict," Breivik's lawyer Geir Lippestad told Reuters.

Satisfaction

The sentence was satisfactory for survivors of the Utoeya island massacre and the majority of the Norwegian society.

"I am pleased, although that's not really the right word, and relieved. This is what we hoped for," Mette Yvonne Larsen, a lawyer for some victims and their families, told Reuters.

"I have already received many messages from clients telling me this is justice served and they are happy it's over and will never have to see him again."

Other survivors of the Utoeya island massacre took to Twitter immediately to comment on the sentencing, with Emma Martinovic tweeting: "YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!", Agence France Presse (AFP) reported.

Viljar Hansse, who took a bullet to the head in the massacre, tweeted: "Finished. Period."

Norwegians were on the whole pleased that Breivik was found sane and responsible for his actions.

"I'm very pleased by this verdict, it lends credibility to the Norwegian justice system," Bjoern Kasper Ilaug, who helped rescue youths by pulling them into his boat as they swam away from the Utoeya island, told AFP.

“A person who prepares attacks like this for so long and so precisely can only be of sound mind,” he added.

"It's a good and correct ruling," tabloid VG wrote in an editorial on its online edition.

"Anders Behring Breivik knew what he was doing, that it was evil," it added.

But Prosecutor Svein Holden had called for him to be sentenced to closed psychiatric care.

He argued that "it would be worse to sentence someone who is psychotic to prison than to send someone who is not psychotic to psychiatric care."

Reproduced with permission from OnIslam.net



-- OnIslam


© islamonline.com